Wednesday, August 13, 2008

GRAFFITI STREET ART with STYLE

graffiti street art poster print wall
ART PRINTS - Art.com!


Urban graffiti street art or whatever this art form is called in your area might be a good option to explore if your home needs a punch of color and nothing else works. Graffiti art has gotten such a bad reputation because the artists have a nasty habit of defacing public property with it or some symbols are supposed to mark the territories of street gangs. Neither diminishes the fact that many examples are so brilliantly executed that it seems a shame to paint over it or remove it.

Last month I worked with a client that wanted lots of color in her brand new apartment. When I arrived I could see the reason for the request because in spite of the fact that it was new construction there were lighting problems. This was one dark, gloomy apartment with virtually no sunlight and too few light fixtures. On top of it all, there was dark leather upholstery on the sofas and chair.

I knew that the answer to the problem would lie in the large expanse of wall space in the main living area would be the best place for an art display. Actually, the ceilings were so high and the area was so wide that a gallery of large posters and prints would not be out of the question.

Usually the problem that I run into has more to do with trying to make a small room seem larger rather than finding enough cool stuff to fill a room. An added bonus was that the neutral tones in the rest of the room gave me plenty of options as there was no color scheme to work around. The blank canvas that I was being given was a decorator’s dream come true.

I thought that the project was going to be little more than getting the pictures hung on the walls until I found that the owner had no affection for traditional forms of wall art that are colorful. Flowers were too feminine, landscapes weren’t the best fit with their selection of sophisticated, urban style furnishings and fabrics and she just couldn’t seem to make a connection with mainstream abstract art prints. I pulled out some examples of urban graffiti street art prints and posters that were my last resort.

I balanced the graffiti street art posters on the back of the sofa so that she could get a feel for what they might do for the room and I have to admit that even I was amazed. Anyone who has wondered is graffiti an art form worthy of respect should pick up a few graffiti art posters or paintings and inspect them with an open mind. They might be the decorative element that takes your decorating project from boring to extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment